Pages

Sunday 23 August 2009

Wedding readings.

We've found a few now that we think resonate with us in some way or another, So I thought I'd post them here. ( I quite wanted 'us two' from winnie the pooh, but James wasn't so up for that.) Heres the ones we like so far:

Why Marriage? by Mari Nichols
Because to the depths of me,
I long to love one person,
With all my heart, my soul, my mind, my body...
Because I need a forever friend to trust with the intimacies of me,
Who won't hold them against me,
Who loves me when I'm unlikable,
Who sees the small child in me,
and Who looks for the divine potential of me...
Because I need to cuddle in the warmth of the night
With someone who thanks God for me,
With someone I feel blessed to hold...
Because marriage means opportunity
To grow in love in friendship...
Because marriage is a discipline
To be added to a list of achievements...
Because marriages do not fail, people fail
When they enter into marriage
Expecting another to make them whole...
Because, knowing this,
I promise myself to take full responsibility
For my spiritual, mental and physical wholeness
I create me,
I take half of the responsibility for my marriage
Together we create our marriage...
Because with this understanding
The possibilities are limitless.
Zoroastrianism wedding ceremony
The twain in one are joined today. May their right hands be tied by the bond of love in lasting union, may the mind of one blend with the mind of the other and the heart be in tune with the heart. May the twin spirits be one spirit in joy and sorrow, success and failure, prosperity and adversity. May the two come nearer to each other in good thoughts, good words, and good deeds from day unto day.
May each transmit something good to the other. May each take the best that is in the other, and give something better than the best, May each give in goodness what the other lacks and may they give mutual completion to each other in life.
Locked in the embrace of wedded love, may they live for each other, may they share each others feelings, may they lighten each others load in life, and may they live in the loving fellowship of minds and hearts. May each elevate and embellishing what nature has bestowed on the other. With hearts knitted together, may the two be the world to each other. May each one be life for the other. May he be hers and she be his wholly for all the days of their lives. May each cleave faithfully unto each in body and mind and spirit as the vine that twines its tendrils around the tall tree. May better than the best come unto them.
I really like both of them, although I think that the first one is perhaps a little bit intimate a) for church, and b) for my older relatives? I know that's silly, but I'm the sort of person who squirms in those sorts of situations. The second one I only found the other day, I love it, I'm just worried that as its from another religion perhaps that's a problem? Although it doesn't mention any Deity's or religious laws at all, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he'll think its OK. Anyway, this is all very far in advance still. if i find any more we like, I'll post them up too. We're intending to have one bible reading, and one more secular, by the way, so its a choice between these, and or any others we find. And i'm thinking seriously about printing 'us two' inside the orders of service, apart from anything else, its something for the kids to read before the service starts!

2 comments:

  1. They're so beautiful, I especially love the first one and after hearing a few religious services recently talk about the 'physical and sexual union' between the couple it seems positively prudish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're having a civil ceremony, but I wanted Corinthians 1:13 (google it, it's awesome) - thought that as it doesn't mention any religion or diety specifically it might be ok... nope! Fingers crossed your second will be OK, it's great.

    So now I'm on the prowl for poems and readings. It's a tightrope to walk between being meaningful but not sort of over-intimate, and good writing without being so over-used it's a cliche almost. I think your choices strike the balance beautifully!

    ReplyDelete