Pages

Saturday 17 July 2010

Bookcase: Notwithstanding

I've been wanting to write a little about books I've read for a while now. Since I've moved to the other shop I've got more time to read and I love passing on a good book afterwards, so I hope you'll bear with me on this one! I read a wide variety of books, they wont necessarily be a newly released one that I write about, just one I've read, or re-read recently that I enjoyed enough to tell you about.




(yes that cover is by Rob Ryan! another good reason to own this book)


I love all Louis de Bernieres books that I've touched so far, so I asked for Notwithstanding for Christmas. I finally got round to reading it a month or so ago, and loved it. If you've read any of his before (Captain Corelli's mandolin anyone?) this is lighter than most of the others, but doesn't avoid subjects such as death. Its an easier book to read in snippets, as each chapter is about a different character from the fictional Surrey village of the book title. In the space of a chapter you are told a story about them which encapsulates their personality, their claim to fame, or defining moment. The characters then dip in and out of each others chapters, so that by the end you have a sort of understanding of the villages complicated web of relationships. Although its lighter, its still able to provoke all the emotions I've ever felt from his books. Just wait til the story about the crow. it got me, especially when the next day one fell down my chimney.

I'd love to know if you have read this, or if you read it because of this what your thoughts are?

5 comments:

  1. sounds perfect for me, I only seem to read in snippets at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful book. I will have to add it to my reading list. I usually try to read a chapter a night before bed so this would be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm more of a crime fiction fan but I have to say that the book cover is indeed stunning!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I WANT THIS. It's been on my wish list for ages. One dayI'll finish my current queue, and have some money, and then at last...

    ReplyDelete
  5. it is so worth it, have you read all his others?

    ReplyDelete